User panel stuff on forum
  5 posts on 1 page  1
Maps & Textures
2007-01-10, 23:40
22 posts

Mar 2006
this is my latest SP quake1 map called quakeshift and i'm putting it up as a beta at the moment just to get the last bugs out of it and maybe just maybe change it still in some way

1 bug i know about is that the counter counts 160 monsters but theres 150, prolly becuase of for some reason the rottfish counts twice but other than that it seems to run like it should.

screens:
www.multi.fi/~elvis/quakemap/center.jpg
www.multi.fi/~elvis/quakemap/shop.jpg
www.multi.fi/~elvis/quakemap/temple.jpg

map:
www.multi.fi/~elvis/quakemap/qshift.zip
2007-01-11, 11:36
1100 posts

Jan 2006
I just played the start so far on skill 2, there definitely needs to be more health or a more powerful weapon.
You improved a lot! Woah!

Most important:
Lighting needs more contrast even though it is meant to be dark.
Balance the weapons. The start is very hard and then it gets easy (as the player is overloaded with weapons).
Make the "fences" in the sewer/mine area visually recognizable as doors.

Dunno if you really want such critic or if you want more or what.
It is always nice to include a textfile to something you release to the public regardless of the status.

edit: Oh, skill 1 seems the same. You have no skill levels, do you? Would be nice to have.
2007-01-11, 18:23
22 posts

Mar 2006
ill see what i can do about the health, light and fence part but the guns where placed where they could be needed so im not "i think" move them around, yeah i know the start is hard so i could prolly add some more health there but theres also armor to help
and the skills ill see about later, not sure ill change that... yet anyway

oh and please point out where more lighting is needed even beter screens
2007-01-11, 21:07
1100 posts

Jan 2006
More light is needed pretty much everywhere in my opinion. The lighting looks very dull.

Try compiling it with "-range 1.05 -dist 0.7 -fast -soft", that looks way better (just some numbers that came to my mind, you can adjust a lot probably )

You could even try a higher minlight value, but then you would need to work on the places that have to stay dark.
At least add some spotlight on the weapons or increase the lighting around them.
You could more feedback by posting at func_msgboard, but I think you know that.

PS: Make the buttons "wait: -1" so they stay down. And if you feel like it, the temple looks like a big red tube from outside.

edit: Some comparison screenies:
http://spirit.enjoys.it/fitz0001.jpg - original
http://spirit.enjoys.it/fitz0002.jpg - -range 1.05 -dist 0.7 -fast -soft
http://spirit.enjoys.it/fitz0003.jpg - -range 1.05 -dist 0.7 -fast -soft plus some sunlight
2007-01-11, 22:59
22 posts

Mar 2006
i only use -extra4 on the lighting but i prolly could add a few more light spots but the sewers are supposed to be as they are

tried that line of yours and it went to bright... just looked bad for a dark medievel type map
and the temple outside should also look like it is as its actually a small copy from another game but not 100%

and i know about func but i thought id let that place be til the map is final

edit
the center pic has been updated with a few more lights and others are now brighter, this is shown with normal light at the moment nothing extra not even -extra4

the default light level is set to 60 now to get is as dark as possible, my last map had 80
  5 posts on 1 page  1