User panel stuff on forum
  5 posts on 1 page  1
Advanced Configuration
2006-08-06, 02:03
135 posts

Jan 2006
Hi

I've got some weird problem with Razer Copperhead under Linux (Ubuntu teh Drake). Here is the big picture:

I managed to set it up for 500 Hz using usbhid mousepoll=2. Mousepoll=1, which should give me 1000 Hz for some reason doesn't want to work, I wonder why... I got 1000 Hz under WinXP so it's possible. My linux kernel is rather new (2.6.16+).

I managed to set mouse for 800 dpi only with some Logitech applet but couldn't find a way to set it up to 2000 dpi like under WinXP.

Still, it's very smooth and comfortable under Gnome and I've tested 500Hz/800dpi under WinXP in QW. It's ok and I don't care if I can't change it. As long as it's ok.

There is some weird thing tho. I'm using newest official ezquake-gl.glx (1517) plus the qw-config file from WinXP, it works fine, but even though it's 500 Hz/800 dpi I don't have to change sensitivity at all, it's exactly the same as in WinXP, where I got 1000 Hz/2000 dpi. It's VERY weird to me because in WinXP when I change Hz/dpi to 500/800 I have to increase sensitivity in game if I want the same results. Which seems quite normal...

Anyway, that's still not THE problem I'm reffering to. But first, let me continue. I managed to set my QW for 800x600@154 Hz, just like in WinXP. I use independent physics with cl_physfps 77 and cl_maxfps 154. I like it that way 'cause it's very smooth and good for my eyes.

So, you got the picture and now the problem.

I've got totally stable 154 fps under Linux with newest nvidia drivers + nvidia-glx pack and my settings. Everything seems ok, everything is fine, until I move my mouse. I may watch the demos and it's perfectly smooth, better than under WinXP where I got "stable" 150-152 fps while cl_maxfps is set for 154 fps. But when I move the mouse the problem begins. Fps stay at 154, but screen starts to show very much ghosting/trailing effects. It's like on 20ms LCD monitor, you can play, but it's FAR from comfort and both your gameplay and fun are drastically lowered. To me it's unplayable 'cause I feel sick of it very fast (something like seasickness or worse :E).

What's important - I discovered when I change m_filter from 0 to 1 the problem totally stops. Screen is very smooth and cool again when I move mouse, just like when I'm watching demos. But it's unplayable cause of the lag I'm getting from m_filter 1 setting, my aim/precision goes 1-2 div lower.

I'm looking for permanent solution for this problem. If anyone got some ideas please let me know, because I'm out of options at this moment, I tried many things. Maybe it's some obvious problem of which I'm just not aware? I'd like it to be, bE.

There is one more thing which I guess may be connected to this problem. When I try play under Linux I have weird feeling that something is wrong, I mean something more than I've just described above of course. It's like delayed reaction for +attack (or just for mouse clicks) and/or harder to jump on rocket than under WinXP ezq client. Just look at these two demos:

http://virtual.maniak.pl/qw/windowsdm2jumps.qwd - this is how I jump @dm2 under winxp-ezq
http://virtual.maniak.pl/qw/linuxdm2jumps.qwd - this is how I jump @dm2 under linux-ezq

Of cource I eventually can do this jump under Linux, but I have to shot a bit earlier than under WinXP, because the rocket doesn't want to behave like I'm used to. And even if I do fire rocket in good moment, still I'm often not flying high enough. Is my toon heavier for some reason? :E Very, very weird to me. That's of course only one example, jumping problems like that are on every map I tried. When I switched back to winxp-ezq after few hours of testing qw under Linux I felt like div1 for a moment, every jump was SO EASY bE.

PS. If you need more info about my system/configuration/etc. just let me know and I'll post it here.

PS2. Mods: please move this topic to "Help" subforum if you think it will better suit there.
2006-08-07, 09:48
810 posts

Jan 1970
you dont need to fiddle with polling rate as copperhead will set its polling rate to whatever your "profile" is set too in windows, same with dpi. if you want a program where you can change those settings under linux its avaible here:
http://razertool.sourceforge.net/

remember to use evdev by starting ezquake with: -mmt -mevdev /dev/input/event0 (event0 can be event1,2,3,4,5 etc).

i've had similair problems (both that was both in windows and linux) with button delay and 1000hz with the latest firmware so you might want to downgrade.
2006-08-09, 13:06
135 posts

Jan 2006
Thx for answer!

What driver version/firmware do you use?

> remember to use evdev by starting ezquake with: -mmt -mevdev /dev/input/event0 (event0 can be event1,2,3,4,5 etc).

What does it do? I don't see/feel any difference...
2006-08-10, 23:52
135 posts

Jan 2006
I think I've solved the problem or at least found good long term solution. The key leading to that was aa's hint about razertool, thx man.

So, I installed razertool, but it didn't help at all. But that was only wrong thinking! It did help, but only for... root user... of course I'm not usually playing qw as root, so I found it by a lucky accident hehe. From this moment it's been easy to figure out what's wrong.

==
If you're not able to use razertool/razertool-gtk as a user, then you may
want to copy "razertool.rules.example" to "/etc/udev/rules.d/razertool.rules"
and restart udev then unplug and plug-in your mouse.
You may need to modify it to use a group you're in instead of "plugdev".
==

That's all you need to do. When you properly run razertool as 'x' user it will solve the problems I mentioned in original post and turn on additional configured buttons, you don't have to do anything at all if you got profile set up already.

PS. File razertool.rules.example is only in .tar.gz archive, at least it's not in .deb package.
PS2. I've used gtk version 0.0.6 of this tool and 6.17i firmware which README says it's best for now.
2006-08-11, 06:26
637 posts

Jan 2006
Omg another 'don't use root it's evil' Linux user :|
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
  5 posts on 1 page  1